All-in-One Public Computing and Desktop Virtualization Solution
Managing desktops for public use can turn traditional PCs into an IT burden and put a strain on budgets. Userful Desktop virtualization solution is designed for public use as an all-in-one, simple, and secure desktop platform.
Whether you are a library or health care center, Userful Desktop is a software as a service desktop computer solution for public computing environments. Turnkey and ready to go out of the box, it is locked-down and includes a full suite of public computing features and end user software. Managed through the cloud by Userful, it requires no local IT management.
Power multiple desktops through one server using energy conserving zero client devices, saving you up to 80% on hardware costs, plus reduced software and electricity costs. Userful Desktop also allows organizations to provide a desktop environment with a variety of features and applications available to meet every patron's need.
Customizable desktops and applications
Patrons can take advantage of a variety of desktop workstations with applications to meet the unique needs of each user. Administrators can customize desktops for kids with fun and educational games, workstations with large print for users with visual impairment and job-seeking stations with office applications and links to job banks, among many others.
Secure, locked-down computing experience
With many patrons using one public computer in a day, it's important to provide the proper security to each user. Only administrators have access to change desktops and can create unique sessions for each patron that resets for the next user. Desktops can also be configured to have limited browser access and secure internet browsing for children.
Features to meet every patron's needs
Userful Desktop allows any organization to add on a range of software features to improve efficiency and productivity of desktops. Features include timed computing sessions, pre-booking stations, print management, and cost-recovery settings.
Simply manage from the cloud
Power up to twenty desktops, touch screens or digital signs that are all centrally managed from the cloud. Administrators can make changes to the look and functionality of any or all desktops from any device through a browser-managed control center, or pull usage reports to see how desktops are being used.
Userful Desktop managed computing solution uses a standard, central computer with client hardware and software to create up to twenty desktop computer stations. The system delivers a locked and secure desktop, complete with a full suite of software that works online or offline.
The Public desktop computer stations perform just like regular computers and can even support playing high definition videos, typing documents, building presentations, or using a variety of applications at each station.
Each desktop has an intuitive look and feel with a custom suite of apps to suit your patrons' needs.
LibreOffice software, a full open source office suite, is included with the Linux operating system. LibreOffice is a multilingual office suite that is compatible with Microsoft Office, which can also be installed on the desktops.
Administrators can easily create a series of custom desktop profiles designed with applications to suit different types of users based on age, or usage need.
As a managed solution, Userful Desktop requires no technical support, updates, upgrades or maintenance from onsite staff. It is entirely self-updated and maintained through the cloud.
Extend functionality with a range of software add-ons to meet the specific need of any organization. Add-ons include:
- Time Management and Reservation – Customize default usage settings. The system can connect to an Integrated Library System to reference patron ages, types, reservations, and fees. Customize daily useage or number of logins per location. A count down time notifies the patron before allocated time is ending and automatically logs the patron out of the desktop or gives patrons the choice to extend the session if its a low-traffic time.
- Pre-book Reservation System – Use Pre-Book to implement a full featured computer booking and reservation system. Patrons can pre-book a station from home, the office, or school up to two weeks in advance, or walk-up to view the real time availability charts to immediately reserve the next available station. The system automatically sends email reminders to patrons, provides a grace period for all reservations, and prevents double-booking. Time-based usage restrictions can be set by day and week and across all locations.
- Print Management and Cost Recovery – Enable users to print files and pay for the cost of printing. Implement a variety of payment options including an online account, magnetic swipe card, credit card, pay at desk, or less formal systems like a coin and bill box. Users can see only the names of the print jobs that they have sent to the printer. Wireless web printing is also available.
- Remote Monitoring and Control – Staff can efficiently and securely monitor and control all public computers, including sending individual or broadcast messages, adding or subtracting allocated time, and logging stations in and out, as needed. Staff can also view station status, time remaining and pull status or usage reports. Advanced settings enable staff to remotely perform technical support and troubleshooting tasks such as starting and stopping services, rebooting computers, and running diagnostic or administrative commands.
- Patron Authentication – Integrate Userful Desktop with your library management system, allowing you to monitor and control access and usage. Patron authentication is compatible with major library systems including SirsiDynix, Innovative, GEAC, TLC, Polaris, and Endeavor. Userful supports standard protocols including SIP, SIP2, LDAP, and NCIP.
A password protected Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) Compliant filter enables organizations to provide a content-safe internet browsing environment.
Userful Desktop public computing platform is based on a Linux distribution and viruses simply cannot execute or multiply, making Userful Desktop immune to viruses.
Built on Userful's virtualization platform, Userful Desktop can run on a single server with 10 or more desktops connected either with USB or with LAN-based client devices. Userful desktop can also be run on stand alone PC's allowing organizations to get the benefit of a locked down, cloud managed desktop without buying new hardware.
Only administrators can install software or change the desktops. The desktop computer stations automatically reset when a public computer session ends without needing to restart the station.
Userful's Cloud Management portal (http://manage.userful.com) allows a single administrator to manage up to thousands of desktop computer stations located anywhere in the world all from a browser. Easily set usage permissions, control the look, feel and functionality of all desktops. Easily pull usage reports to gain better insight into how the desktops are used.
Userful software for public computer stations is compatible with zero client devices from many leading manufacturers like HP®, ViewSonic®, Acer and Atrust, so there is no proprietary hardware to lock in. Userful Desktop can be installed easily on most 64-bit computers and is compatible with a variety of market leading printers and scanners.
Our knowledgeable team of trainers and support experts are easy to reach through email or a toll free phone number. Training services are included with every new installation. The support team can request permission to remotely connect to any public computer stations to use a toolbox of diagnostic utilities and support scripts to quickly isolate and fix any technical issue. Userful automatically deploys updates with the latest features and improvements to keep the solution up-to-date.
When more desktops are required, it's easy to scale with Userful, simply add another server to add up to twenty desktops to that single server.
Userful Desktop saves time, money, and headaches, while costing a fraction of of any other managed desktop solution.
By controlling and managing all desktops through the clouds, management is suddenly easy, even for someone with limited IT training.
By migrating to a centralized, virtualized public desktop computer model powered by Userful Desktop public computing software, one computer with zero client devices powers up to twenty desktop computer stations to save up to 80 percent of hardware costs.
An investment in a zero client desktop computer solution will last up to a decade, which is two to three times longer than the lifespan of a traditional computer or thin client. Replace the one server every 3-5 years to get a brand-new computing experience and take advantage of technology upgrades.
Each zero client computing device consumes as little as 3 watts of electricity, which is a fraction of the power consumed by a computer. Within three years, the amount of electricity savings will be enough to pay for the original zero client purchase.
Zero client computing devices have no moving parts that produce heat or require cooling, have a small carbon footprint, and long lifespan to significantly reduce CO2 emissions from electricity consumption, manufacturing, transportation, and the electronic waste of old devices. It is an environmentally sustainable computing solution leading green computing.
Bringing public computer access to the world
Featured Case Study
A school library in Costa Rica is providing twenty-first century learning to students with Userful Desktop virtualization solution. Witness how access to high-performance desktops at an affordable cost is transforming the school and its students for the better. Watch the video.
Warsaw Public Library
Warsaw Community Public Library saved thousands of dollars in IT costs and time with Userful Desktop.
Canalta Group, headquartered in Drumheller, Alberta, develops and operates hotels and restaurants throughout Western Canada.
Coquitlam Public Library
Coquitlam Public Library used Userful Desktop to save staff time and keeping systems current.
Hillcrest Hotel Coast Resort
Hillcrest Hotel, a Coast Resort, pleases guests and staff with headache-free computer and Internet access while generating extra revenue.
Canadian Forces uses Userful software to boost morale of Canadian solders in Afghanistan.